Relationships - Establishing a relationship
What am I looking for in a relationship?
We are all different and the qualities we look for in a relationship will be different. You need to think about how a relationship might change your life.
- Would it feel good to have a relationship?
- Would you tell your friends about your relationship? What about your parents or family?
- Would having a relationship interfere with other parts of your life – sport, school, family?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then you need to think about whether you want a relationship at the moment.
A good relationship is built on being accepted for who you are, trust, honesty, caring, and sharing good times and bad times. It may also include mutually enjoyable sex. Good relationships take time to develop. It is easy to say what you want from a relationship but harder to put into practice.
Relationship – how do I know?
Sometimes it can be hard to know if you’re even in a relationship. When do you stop being friends and become something more? What tells you that you are in a relationship?
- Talk, text, IM, that person more than anyone else?
- Talk, text, IM, that person everyday or even lots of times during the day?
- Are they a friend on your Bebo or Facebook page?
- If it’s someone at your school – do you hang out with them at lunchtime or during breaks in school?
- Do you see them during the week or just at weekends?